3/06/2015

Review: The Mad Scientist's Daughter


The Mad Scientist's Daughter
The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I struggled with this book a little at first because the protagonist is more than a little self-absorbed. I fumed at some of her choices, and a few of the chapter breaks seemed to be designed to intensify the selfishness of our heroine.

But I liked the story, and the world building was remarkably deft, so I kept at it. To my surprise and delight, our heroine grew and changed as the story progressed, and her arc was from selfish to a much more grounded, empathetic approach to the people around her. (As many of us walk that same path from childhood to adulthood, it was nice to have a character who did wrong, but when she knew better, she did better.)

I think this fits nicely into the reading lists of science fiction lovers (though lighter fare than some of the other robot-themed classics) as well as people who just love a good story, well told, and haven't really dipped a toe into science fiction.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment