6/25/2013

"American Savage" by Dan Savage

American Savage: Insights, Slights, and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and PoliticsAmerican Savage: Insights, Slights, and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and Politics by Dan Savage
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Worth the read just for Bigot Christmas, though that's not the only good essay in this collection. Dan Savage is not without his flaws, but being boring certainly isn't one of them.


View all my reviews

 One of the most amazing things about Savage as a writer is that he can be as crude as can be in one essay, then leave you wondering where you left the damn tissues in the next one. Savage brought me to tears several times in the essay about his mother, and as a long-time reader of his column and podcast subscriber, I knew most of these stories already. The love and grief when he writes about her death are real, and I think it's unlikely that most people could keep a dry eye. I've read most of his books, and they are alternately inspiring, educational, filthy, and hilarious. Not bad at all, for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment