7/05/2013

Sharp Things by Gillian Flynn

Sharp ObjectsSharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Here is a book that left me a little conflicted, if only because the last 40 pages or so felt a little underdeveloped. I cared a lot about that loosely sketched ending because I had enjoyed the book SO MUCH up to that point that even a hint of rushing to the conclusion was frustrating. That said? I still can't bring myself to deduct a full star for that.

Gillian Flynn is a better writer as of her third book, but even her first book is head and shoulders above most of what is being published right now.

This will be the last of the Gillian Flynn for me, until she publishes something new. I have enjoyed every last one of them as dark and twisty as they all can be, in their individual ways. They have the same sort of edge to them that a lot of Stephen King does, but without even a hint of the supernatural element that King cannot resist including, most of the time. These are just small town Midwesterners acting badly, and it feels really true, even when the plot takes a dark or even shocking turn.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment