12/30/2014

Review: A Lady Awakened


A Lady Awakened
A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I'm not much of a romance reader these days, but the review of this one at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books caught my eye. The conceit was interesting: a widow attempting to circumvent the primogeniture laws in England by paying a notorious rake to get her pregnant in the wake of her husband's death.

It was a sweet, unredeemable little confection of a book. I think, from looking at other reviews of this book on Goodreads, the author could have offered a little more background information about why our heroine needed to conceive a son or lose her home. I've seen a lot of reviews that assume this is because of some meanness of spirit on the part of her husband, which is too bad. It might be a lack of careful reading, but I don't think so. I don't think I saw anything that more than roughly sketched out the law in question that provides the bulk of the obstacles our heroine faces.

Terrible cover. If I'm going to read anymore romances, I really need them as e-books.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment