2/21/2014

The Year of Finishing Things


I have made this year a year for clearing out some of my long-term to-do lists. In specific, when it comes to reading, I want to try authors I have always meant to, and get read some of the books that my friends swear by that I haven't tried or failed to get into when I did try them in the past.

When I was in law school, there were books I simply couldn't bring myself to read. I knew I didn't have the spare brain power to read truly demanding things, and I had a strong hankering for happy endings and tidier stories at that time. I passed on a lot of things I knew I simply wouldn't be up to parsing. But it's left strange gaps in my reading, and I know there are authors and stories I will like that I haven't so much as dipped a toe in. There are also a few series I'm behind on because I knew I couldn't give them the attention they deserve.

So 2014 is the Year of Catching Up. First up, Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. Also in the immediate future: catching up on Michelle West's House War series, and reading my first China Mieville. I'm looking forward to all of them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment