6/17/2014

Review: Tenth of December


Tenth of December
Tenth of December by George Saunders

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I picked this up after reading George Saunders commencement speech about the biggest regrets in his life were the failures of kindness from his past, when he could have reached out to someone and did not. I also remembered that radical empathic Cheryl Strayed spoke warmly about Saunders at a talk of hers that I attended.

These short stories are technically excellent, and I enjoyed them, but my hope and expectation was that the philosophy of the commencement speech might shine through the other work, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I would recommend this collection as displaying technically superior short story work, but if you're looking for more things like Congratulations, by the way: Some Thoughts on Kindness, it isn't this.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment