4/07/2015

Review: So Much Pretty


So Much Pretty
So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I am really torn about this book, so let me see if I can untangle that a little.

I read this as an audiobook, and I find myself wondering if I would have liked this book more if I had actually read it instead. It has a really unusual structure that doesn't lend itself well to audiobook format. It's comprised of snippets of interviews and articles, as well as more conventional book chapters. All of that is fine, but it's also told in a non-linear fashion, jumping back and forth along the timeline of Alice's life. I found myself wondering if the book wouldn't work a lot better with a more conventional structure.

There's a good idea in here, but it's fractured by the structure of the book and flattened by the leaden, two-dimensional villains. I made myself keep going, and the book did eventually hook me, but it felt like it was crippling its own efforts to do so for most of the book.

I DID reach a point where I had to know what would happen, so I guess that's worth adding a star to what would otherwise be a solid two-star book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment