1/16/2015

Review: The Martian


The Martian
The Martian by Andy Weir

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




Here it is: my first five-star book of the year. I really enjoyed this, and though I found the breezy, goofy tone of the early log entries to be sort of irksome, eventually I felt like the novel HAD to have them. They gave you a way to know Mark Watney well, which is vital to make the stakes as high as they need to be for the payoff.

Ultimately, Watney and his logs grew on me, but it was the non-journal portions of the book that worked best for me. I really loved the snappy dialogue and the sparks of the tension between the various NASA personalities.

Andy Weir has written a monumental book that makes the science of the Mars mission accessible and fascinating. It might be the best thing anyone's done for the space program since President Kennedy.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment