7/12/2014

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken



So not too long ago, Everyday Indian: Slow Cooker With Curry and Indian Spices was available for free for download at Amazon, and I jumped at the chance. I've been collecting digital cookbooks just for their space-saving wonderfulness.

Now, I have a complicated, mostly unsuccessful relationship with the slow cooker, and my previous attempts at butter chicken have been similarly goofy, but hope springs eternal. I decided to give this a try anyway.

It turned out wonderfully, so here is the recipe, with a couple of photos, and my modifications. I'll definitely be making this again.
It didn't last long after this.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 T butter
  • 2 pounds chicken thighs (I used 1 lb breast and 1 lb thighs)
  • 2 t garam masala
  • Salt to taste.
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 t cayenne
  • 15 cardamom pods
  • 1 cup+ plain whole milk yogurt
  • 1 can coconut milk (8 oz)
  • 2 t curry powder
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
  • 1/2 t ground ginger
Directions:
  1. Bundle the cardamom pods together in cheese cloth or a sachet, so they do not separate in the dish.
  2. Place the chicken on the bottom of your crock pot and then top with the onions, spices, and garlic.
  3. Add butter and tomato paste.
  4. Add the coconut milk and lemon juice.
  5. Turn the crock pot on low and cook for nine hours.
  6. During the last 15 minutes, remove the lid (if you haven't already) and stir in the yogurt. Add a little more, if you like it creamier. Salt to taste.
  7. Remove the cardamom pods and serve.
  8. Serve over basmati rice.
There is never enough mango lassi, no matter how much you make.
Suggestions:
  • I removed the lid about three hours before the end of cooking time to let some of the water cook off and the mixture thicken a little, rather than waiting until the last 15 minutes. I suspect that's always going to be necessary.
  • I fixed a simple pilaf with basmati rice, peas, and carrots to serve this over. I recommend this, as there's no veggies, otherwise.
  • I served it with a mango lassi, one of my other favorite Indian foods.


No comments:

Post a Comment