5/28/2014

Review: Dreams of Gods & Monsters


Dreams of Gods & Monsters
Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




This is a trilogy that I knew I had to read as soon as I skimmed the blurb here on Goodreads. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was recommended by the magical algorithm of You'll Like It, I think because I loved Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I'm not sure the algorithm has ever gotten a recommendation for me so RIGHT before.

I love this trilogy. I love Laini Taylor and will read anything she writes from here on out.

But let's talk about this book.

There's a skill that Taylor possesses in rendering the fierce, funny love between two girlfriends that I am not sure I have seen in any other author I current read. In the face of grimness, there's Karou and Zuzana fighting for one another...and making each other laugh. Actively seeking that good feeling you get when you make your best friend LAUGH. It's just true, and perfect, I don't think I've seen it from anyone else in recent memory, at least. (Upon reflection, I think part of the shiny of this is how effortlessly the book passes that dreaded Bechdel test.)

This trilogy is wonderful and inventive and sweet and funny. If you haven't read it yet, I'm jealous.

Because now you can read it for the first time!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment