8/17/2014

Review: Red Rising


Red Rising
Red Rising by Pierce Brown

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




If we define young adult novels as those with an absence of graphic sexual encounters, I will agree that this is YA. Otherwise, there's a lot more rape, murder, pissing on people, and dirty dealing than you would find in any other YA novel, including the ones referred to on the cover of the book. I'm not sure I would recommend it for younger teens as a result.

That said, I LOVED this book. It hits a lot of my sweet spots: hidden identities, revolution, the underdog striving to better the life he (and his people) have been dealt. There are several sad plot developments, but this book does occupy (and knows it) a space where Ender's Game overlaps with The Hunger Games.

I'm already looking forward to the next one in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment